Thursday, November 10, 2005

Consider this

When I catch myself comparing myself with others or thinking, I could be happy if only I had what they have, then I know I need to withdraw for a while and listen for another voice. Away from the winds, the earthquakes, and the fires of human recognition, I can hear again the still, small voice, posing the question it always asks of self-absorbed children: "What are you doing here?"
Too often I reply to the voice by whining about some of my own Ahabs and Jezebels. And the voice gently reminds me, as it has reminded thousands of Elijahs before me, that I am only a small part of a larger movement and that at the end of the day there is only one King whose approval will matter: "It is the Lord who judges me."
The voice also whispers, Do not despise your place, your gifts, or your voice, for you cannot have another's, and it would not fulfil you if you could.
John Ortberg, "The Life You've Always Wanted"
Why do I despise what I have? Oh, I don't outright say that I despise it. But it's surely not as good as what that person has. And isn't that the same as despising? But when you think that God knows us fully (there is no mask or pretension I can wear to hide my spirit from the Spirit of God), it's an awesome thought. Because God knows me so well, I get the things I truly need...my personality, abilities, spiritual gifts are all "tailor-made" as it were to suit me. So why in the world do I think that someone else's tailor-made qualities would fit me?

"O LORD, you have searched me and you know me...I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
-- Psalm 139: 1, 14

1 comment: