Friday, July 29, 2005

I'd like a second opinion...or third

I just got a call from the garage. Apparently there's nothing wrong with my car. That would be great news except I took it to the dealership over a month ago and they told me that there was probably something wrong with the spider gear in my differential. So which is it? My car makes this hideous low rumbling noise whenever I turn left and my foot is on the gas. It goes away as soon as I put the clutch in or straighten the wheel. Now, I may not know much about cars, but I know enough about machinery to know that a noise means there's a problem. My car wouldn't be making this horrible noise if there wasn't a problem, right? So why can't this guy find anything wrong with my car? And he's got a really good reputation in working with VWs. I don't understand. I just want the noise to go away.

1 comment:

Proteinstar said...

I would guess it's your front left CV joint assuming you have front wheel drive. But that's kind of a no brainer. It could also be your front left wheel bearing, when those wear down they you can get this awful shaky/shudder in your car. Same with the Constant Velocity (CV) joint, if the rubber boot tears sand and junk can get in a wear down the joint.